Wednesday, November 24, 2010

the baking frontier

Life is often like baking. Recently, I had the opportunity to make a birthday cake for my friend, Andrew. I had planned to make a simple, yet fun cake, a lightsaber cake to be exact. I had made one before in high school and it was a success. I figured that it could only be easier and turn out better as I had already done it once.

I had bought everything I would need to make the cake and decorate it properly. I had done the math on how to cut the sheet cake right for the proper proportions. I had wrapped a wooden plank in foil, to frost and serve the cake from. I had even dyed a boat load of butter cream frosting bright blue! I was ready to make a lightsaber cake!
Lightsaber blue...frosting!!

However, as the cake cooled at home and I was at campus preparing for an investigative Bible discussion, the birthday boy told me he didn't actually like Star Wars. (Now, I don't just go around assuming that all people like Star Wars, some people are just stubborn and don't like good things, but Andrew was gathering his friends to watch it on his birthday, so I assumed he was a fan.) I knew that I could no longer make a lightsaber cake.

As I got home I was racking my brain to figure out what to make the cake into instead...after carving, baking more, frosting, sprinkling and frosting...and running to Michael's the next day for some miniature Pioneers, I came up with this:
A three year olds dream!

Happy birthday!

Now, how does this relate to life?

Well, I think sometimes our plans say lightsaber cake. We know it will taste good, look good, make people smile and serve to hold candles. But its probably not as fun as making a wild west, canyon cake! Definitely not as unique, and probably not as challenging or as much work. No way, no how! But of course, it is totally worth it!

There is an excitement in the unknown, in the challenges that lie ahead. I pondered all this the morning after my night of cake decorating, when I should have been sleeping. It was still worth it. While I haven't a clue where I will be this time next year, or what I will be doing I am excited for the adventure of it all. The joy is in the journey, when you're journeying with the Lord.

Saddle up!

Note: if the dirt looks purple, it is because I used that blue frosting as my base color.

2 comments:

  1. On the receiving end, I can't express how much I enjoyed that cake! And I'm glad that God was able to use the situation even more in reminding you of that lesson!

    ReplyDelete