Thursday, November 25, 2010

Early this week during my time with the Lord, I was struck by the verse Luke 15:31, which says, “My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours." This verse is at the end of the parable of the Prodigal Son. I have read the parable many times, viewing myself as different characters in different times, but this week I just read it. I didn't really identify with the big brother, but the father's words just rang out in my heart. 


"My son," the father said, "you are always with me, and everything I have is yours." 


As I thought about these words, I felt so bad for the big brother and the joy that he was missing out on. The joy of relationship with the father. He has been there the whole time that his brother has been away, but has he been enjoying the father and all that he has? Maybe he didn't realize the great riches of this place, but that does not change the fact that he has been enjoying them on some level and could be enjoying them more. 


I can see the truth of these words in my own life. It is so good to obey your parents and it really does go well with you. It brings such blessing! Primarily, in the relationship and being with your parents, at least in heart. It gives that relationship a strong past, an enjoyable present and a hopeful future. My relationship with my parents is one of the things that I am most thankful for! Being home with my mom and dad this week has been so restful, we laugh, cry, talk quite honestly and enjoy the gift that each of us is in each other's lives. My mom so sweetly said tonight, "the best gifts we have are our children." The relationship far outweighs the "stuff" that my brothers and I will inherit when our parents die, even if they became billionaires.


Now, there have been times in my life when I was tempted to respond like the big brother, and not rejoice at the graciousness of other people to those who are coming home with repentant hearts, but giving into that temptation is meaningless. In light of Christ and His mercy, I too must rejoice at the graciousness of others and give grace and forgiveness myself. There is no place for that attitude, it is pride. After all, I can only walk in holiness as I keep in step with the Spirit. 


On a day like today, Thanksgiving,  we stop to think about our blessings, and to thank the Lord for them. I am truly blessed and really thankful. While I am most definitely blessed in the physical realm by the Lord, I see my greatest blessings are knowing the Father as His child, being with Him always through the Spirit, and having an eternal inheritance from Him in Christ!  


Lord, thank You for Your love, for wanting relationship with us, and sending Your Son to secure it. You are sooooooo good! I just love You!