Friday, December 23, 2011

Coconut Macaroons Recipe (Make Me! Macaroons)

If you like coconut and chocolate, I cannot recommend a better recipe.

Earlier this year, I had a request for some macaroons. So I set about doing some research on the coconut dessert I had never sampled. After searching, I found a recipe that I thought would be a good base (Chef Keem's Tres Leche Macaroons) and added a couple ingredients to enhance the consistency and flavor. (I added the eggs to help bond the coconut mixture together; without the eggs, I found the macaroons to be too fragile. I also added the almond extract and cinnamon for flavor, but they are optional.)

Ingredients:
  • 4-14 oz. bags of shredded coconut
  • 2-14 oz. cans of sweeten condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup sour cream (I use fat free, and have substituted plain yogurt when I didn't have s.c.)
  • 2 tablespoons of whipping cream (I have used creamer and milk as a sub.)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tablespoon almond extract
  • A couple dashes of cinnamon
  • Chocolate almond bark (If you would like to dip them in chocolate, and you do!)

Directions:

Simply combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. You will most likely want to use an electric mixer to make sure that the wet ingredients are evenly disbursed through the coconut. Once you have thoroughly mixed the ingredients, prep your cookie tray. Your cookie tray should be lined with parchment paper. I use a silicone sheet liner. Once this is done you can use an ice cream scoop, or any cookie scoop, to make your round macaroons. Bake the macaroons at 325 degrees for about 18 minutes or until the coconut becomes a nice, golden brown.

After the macaroons have cooled completely, then dip them in chocolate. I use almond bark, but if you are more comfortable with another dipping chocolate feel free to use that. I simply microwave the almond bark and dip half of each macaroon into the chocolate. Once they have been dipped, place them back on parchment or wax paper until the chocolate sets. 

These freeze amazingly well! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I kinda am speechless you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have time to bake them for everyone, nor do I want to deprive anyone of them.

    ReplyDelete