Tuesday, December 13, 2011

my favorite Christmas Carol

Today is my mom's birthday and as she was born so close to Christmas, my grandpa wanted to name her Carol, which means, "song of great joy." On her birthday, and other days too, I thank God for how much joy my mom has brought into my life!

I think that one of the greatest ways my mother has brought me joy is by teaching me so many things about life and walking with Jesus. Whether she was aware of it or not, I have been watching her since I was a little girl and have gleaned many things.

Here are a few of the things that I have learned from my mother, and will probably never stop learning about:
-How to be real- My mom is maybe one of the most real people I have ever met. She knows who she is in Christ. When I first heard about people putting on masks and hiding their emotions, I couldn't even understand it because it seemed so foreign to me. My mom and dad have been so intentional in sharing their lives with us and making our family an environment of grace so that we feel safe to be who we are, and free to give and receive love and truth.
-How to be hospitable- For the last six-ish years I have really enjoyed bringing different friends home to Blythe. My parents always give them a warm reception. One of my favorite memories is my mom meeting one of my friends for the first time and giving her such a warm hug, exclaiming, "I'm so glad to meet you!" I think part of my mom's hospitality is significantly enhanced by her realness, but ultimately she makes people feel like they are important. She will sit and listen, or share her story. She is not afraid to give advice, but doesn't bury you with it either.
-How to bake- A lot of my new friends ask me, "why did you start baking?" and my response is something like, "Well, my mom always liked to bake and she taught me how." I remember helping my mom in the kitchen as a little kid. She didn't care if the cookies weren't perfectly shaped or if we made a bit of a mess, she cared about spending time with us kiddos.
-How to sacrifice- My mom has made a lot of sacrifices over the years and I will probably understand this more in the years to come when I have kids, but it is pretty humbling to be the recipient of so many acts of love and service.
-How to trust- I feel like my mom trusts God in a way that I often don't understand. My mom often is so steady and anchored; I can't explain it, but I see it. She doesn't go on rambling about what could be or isn't, but she is where God has her and she is who God has made her to be. She knows the Word and walks by faith.
-How to laugh, cry and have fun- My mom has a great laugh and is a tender-hearted beauty. She is fun to be around. I genuinely enjoy her company!

At Thanksgiving...
Yes, my mom put whipped cream on my nose.
No, I don't know why.
Lord, thank you for my mom. I thank You for Your goodness and sovereignty in her life and the way that it has trickled down into mine. Lord, I pray that You would strengthen my mom this day. Lord, would You refresh and encourage her heart as only You can. I pray that You would continue to grow her and give her vision for her life. Yes, strengthen and encourage my parents as they labor for Your kingdom in Blythe. Thank You for the ways that they compliment each other. Lord, I am thankful to have had a front row seat to watch and learn from my mom, help us to grow in our Christ likeness. Thank You for her humility, joy and peace. Lord, would You continue to bless her to be a blessing, especially in her time with You? You are good Lord, and Your love endures!

1 comment: