Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"The reasons we go to war always matter."

In March of 2010 I saw the Green Zone, a Matt Damon war flick. (It didn't really touch the Bourne series, but that is not what I'm posting about.)  I didn't see too many movies that year, which possibly added to the impact that this movie had on me. I often find myself mulling over one of the lines from it, "The reasons we go to war always matter."

Today I substitute taught. Sometimes when I'm teaching it feels like I'm at war. There is this lesson, full of great content that the sweet cherubim before me would greatly benefit in learning; however, they don't want to learn it, or do anything that I want them to do for that matter! Today it seemed as though it was a battle of wills, my will against 27 other wills. Alright, maybe seven of them wanted to learn or at least respect me, so only 20 wills against me. It was exhausting, but the battle was worth fighting. Ironically enough the lesson they were the most naughty during was about the beginning of U.S. Civil War, particularly the motivations for the Union and the Confederacy to enter the war.

This evening I received a phone call from my new boss and in our short conversation he said something about being on the front lines of battle. Yes, since my decision to go back on staff has been made there has been some serious fear and plenty of lies to take captive and make obedient to Christ. O but there is reason enough to engage in the battle, it is war. Yes, "The reasons we go to war always matter." We all pick our battles daily... What part of creation will we try to tame and subdue this day? What wrongs can be made right? How can I be bearer of light in this darkness? Or we may be so overwhelmed, apathetic, desensitized or down right lazy that we refuse to engage in any battle at all? 

I don't know what camp you would find yourself in, but I often feel I'm in the thick of a battle. Yet my heart can be confident as the end of the story has already been told. For on the cross my Savior's heel may have been struck, but with His resurrection, conquering sin and death, the serpent's head was crushed. He is victorious and we, His bride, are certainly safe as we are His. 

You go before me in battle. You are with me and You will never leave me or forsake me. Not only this, but because You live, my labor in You is not in vain. Help me to stand firm and let nothing move me. May I give myself fully to Your work, O Lord. Lord, encourage my heart for the battle. Help me to love in truth. Spirit, I rest before You, utterly dependent.  I look to You, my Shield and Defender.


1 comment:

  1. From Judah will come the cornerstone,
    from him the tent peg,
    from him the battle bow,
    from him every ruler.
    Together they will be like mighty men
    trampling the muddy streets in battle.
    Because the LORD is with them,
    they will fight and overthrow the horsemen.

    “I will strengthen the house of Judah
    and save the house of Joseph.
    I will restore them
    because I have compassion on them.
    They will be as though
    I had not rejected them,
    for I am the LORD their God
    and I will answer them.

    Zec. 10:4-6

    ReplyDelete