Friday, May 21, 2010

"I've got it! Mud Ditch!?" "Oh yes, that sounds lovely!"

Tonight as I drove to Blythe, I was amused by the fact that the ditches along the interstate are named and labeled with the following names:

Bula Ditch, Taro Ditch, Adair Ditch, Hillhock Ditch, Wide Ditch, Larry Ditch, Desert Center Ditch, Airport Ditch, CDXCom Ditch, Quartz Ditch, Ghost Ditch, Rollie Ditch, Palen Ditch, Meta Ditch, Oban Ditch, Copa Ditch, Esso Ditch, Mud Ditch, Walla Ditch, Arco Ditch, Calada Ditch, Gale Ditch, Teed Ditch, McCoy Ditch, Isora Ditch, and Palowalla Ditch

I think this is the right order?

I arrived home and told my parents, they said they had just noticed them on their drive back yesterday; so we're thinking the signs must be new. I don't really know why ditches need to be named and labeled with their said names, but apparently someone important thinks it is worthwhile! On the bright side, if you ever end up in one of these ditches (which I hope you don't), you can tell the emergency dispatcher exactly which ditch to send help to.

It must be really difficult to come up with quality names for ditches. I think "Mud Ditch" takes the cake!

5 comments:

  1. Maybe they figured if they gave them signs and official names, they wouldn't leave without warning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I guess ditches are the most amusing things on that long of a drive huh? i was talking to someone who works at prisons last week and he mentioned Blythe and your fav mexican restaurant there. Glad you are home safe, not in a ditch...

    And I bought this cd by Kari Jobi who sounds a TON like Sarah Groves and I think you would love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry Ditch is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do the names come from. Specifically, of interest to me, is where did the name "Bula" ditch come from?

    ReplyDelete