Monday, May 3, 2010

mmm whatcha say

Lately I have been thinking a bit about my mouth and the words that I allow to come out of it. Words are powerful. I have often been hurt or encouraged by the words of others.

I think that sometimes I have failed to give thought to my words because of my pride and selfishness, but also because sometimes I don't really put much stock in others' words. What I mean to say is that words of affirmation is not my primary love language and I generally only care about someone's words if I have placed some value on the relationship or have felt genuinely loved by them in the past. All that to say, I can be pretty terse with my words.

I have known this for quite some time. My mom often said to me, "You would be the perfect child, if you couldn't talk," and "Alissa Ruth, don't sass me!" One time she told me that I should pray to God that He would make me sweet; I did and continue to. More than once as a child did I have to write the third chapter of James out when I had spoken disrespectfully to members of my family. While I can see that God has helped me to make progress in this area, I still fall short. I fail to love others with my words and in my heart.

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." -Ephesians 4:29


Lord, I am thankful for the ability to communicate with others. Would You continue to help me to do so in a way that is edifying and encouraging? Help me to love with my words. Thank You for Your Word that is living and active, sharper than a double-edged sword, for its convicting power and the story of grace that it holds.

I am now going to kill that giant mosquito on my wall with my dad's copy of Luther's Three Treatises. I don't think he will mind the bug guts. This mosquito is grossly huge!

2 comments: