Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Psalm 121

Fifth grade was the first year that I went to school in Blythe and the only year my brothers and I attended a private school. While I didn't like much about that year of school,  I am eternally grateful for my teacher and the way he chose to teach us "Religion." My teacher that year, Mr. Reale, thought it was best for us to memorize chapters of the Bible to fulfill the subject requirements. So that's what we did. He assigned us a chapter each quarter: Psalm 23,Luke 2:1-14, 1 Corinthians 13, and Psalm 121 and a few other key verses like Matthew 28:18-20. (I wish he made us do more!) We were required to memorize them in chunks; punctuation and spelling were to be perfect. Each Friday we were tested, writing out our new verses and our old verses.

I remember that before we began Psalm 121, Mr. Reale introduced it as his favorite Psalm. As I grew up and went through high school, I began to see why. Blythe is in a valley and in almost all directions you can see hills. Driving on the country roads, you're surrounded by them. I was constantly lifting my eyes up to the hills, often struck by the beauty and openness of the clean, country sky, and in awe of the fact that the One who made all that was before me was also my Helper!

Well, it is a little bit harder to see the hills in Long Beach, but I am so often in need of help, especially the Lord's! I find myself praying parts of this Psalm a lot lately and am so thankful for the inner strength it brings.

I lift my eyes up to the hills- where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip- He who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you- the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm- He will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and your going both now and forevermore.

Lord, thank You for being my help, for keeping me from harm and constantly watching over my life. Thank You for the ways that You have shaped my relationship with You and for the blessing that Mr. Reale was as a teacher and man of faith. You're faithful and You will continue to be.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. -Hebrews 13:8

I trust You. Thank You for cornbread and honey butter, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment