Wednesday, May 19, 2010

And for me, some scarlet ribbons

Growing up, my dad always tucked us kids in. In our younger years, he often serenaded us as we fell asleep. He would usually play one song per kid. The two songs he reserved for me were "Scarlet Ribbons" and "Alissa's Song" (it is my very own lullaby).

Tonight I had the joy of meeting up with my parents for dinner in Brea. It was really nice to see them and to watch the Suns game with them, it would have been better if the Suns had won, but alas I will count my blessings. After dinner we went back to their hotel room and I gave my dad my guitar and requested "Scarlet Ribbons."

I peeked in to say goodnight and I heard my child in prayer. "And for me some scarlet ribbons, scarlet ribbons for my hair." All the shops were closed and shuttered, all the streets were dark and bare. In our town no scarlet ribbons, scarlet ribbons for her hair. Through the night, my heart was aching, just before the dawn was breaking. I looked in and on her bed in gay profusion lying there, scarlet ribbons, lovely ribbons, scarlet ribbons for her hair. If I live to be a hundred, I will never know from where came those ribbons, lovely ribbons, scarlet ribbons for her hair.

As the song was being sung, my eyes welled with tears. The little girl's faith hit me. Children aren't afraid to ask God for things, even ribbons for their hair. And God is the God who delights in giving His children good gifts. Yet in my stupidity and pride, I sometimes don't pray for some of the things I want. I think that I lack the faith to pray for them or I'm too afraid that God will say no and don't want to feel disappointed. But God even answers these prayers! (the unprayed ones, if that makes sense? the ones that are just on the edge of being prayed, the ones that slip out of your heart with out mental utterance.)

I see God answering one of these inmost prayers, the Spirit is at work and I am excited.

Lord, thank You for Your grace. Teach me to pray continually and fearlessly, in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear more about the answer if you'd be willing to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stuff I talked to Mike Jordahl about.

    ReplyDelete