Saturday, June 16, 2012

Apple butter from my parent's kitchen

Since I went away to college, the gadgets and gizmos in my parent's kitchen seem to have multiplied and improved significantly. It makes coming home all the more fun. At the start of the new year my parents began eating vegan, mostly for health reasons, they have since reintroduced dairy and eggs into their diet. To enhance the ease of their vegetarian lifestyle they purchased a Vitamix blender. This thing is pretty amazing. Today I used the Vitamix blender to help me make apple butter. Instead of peeling the apples, which is laborious, sticky and time consuming, I just chopped them and blended them, peel and all. At my apartment I have a food processor, so I'm guessing I could have just used that, but this mixer had those apples looking like apple sauce in a matter of seconds. I don't think my food processor would have the same affect. 

Here is the apple butter recipe from today. I like clove a bit more than most; I also think Clove would be a good dog name.

All Day Apple Butter (adapted from allrecipes.com)

12 cups, of whole apple sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups of sugar (you can add a bit more depending on the sweetness of your apples)
2 tablespoons of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of clove

Prepare apples. (If you don't have a blender/food processor, you can peel, core and dice the apples the old fashion way.) Combine apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and clove in a crock pot. Cook on high heat for about one hour. Reduce the heat and continue to cook it for 9-11 hours. You can freeze it, can it, or store it in the refrigerator. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I think clove would make a WONDERFUL dogs name. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete