Sunday, April 11, 2010

I'm gonna give Micahel $10

When I was six or seven my mom lost one of her diamond earrings. She had searched high and low, retracing her every step, but could not find it. My brothers and I were enlisted in the search with the lure of a ten dollar reward. My brothers began to eagerly search for the earring, but for some reason I wasn't interested. Maybe the chance of finding it seemed too small, the time spent searching seemed less exciting than the swing set, or maybe I didn't think the reward was worthwhile.

A few days later, however, I was walking through my parents bedroom when I felt a sharp prick on the bottom of my barefoot. I looked down and there it was, mom's earring. I received the reward. As I rode to church this morning I couldn't help, but identify with my six year old self as I thought about some of the things God has been showing me lately.

God has pricked my heart with some truths. I don't know that I was eager to find them or wrestle with them, possibly too busy to realize they were missing, but nonetheless a teeny weeny bit of pain opened my eyes and there were these truths just waiting to be found. There is also a great reward, not just the experience of right living under truth, but also the sweet and deepening fellowship of the Lord.

1 comment: