Saturday, November 26, 2011

Fatherly love

I talked briefly with my dad today, while I was walking the shampoo isle at Target. He was telling me how I was his favorite daughter and I joked that it really takes a lot of work being his only daughter. His tone changed a bit, and then he told me that he had been thinking about the roughest patch we had in our father-daughter relationship when I was a young teen. He said, "It took me so long to realize that you wanted me to be your dad before your pastor."  It is true; I wanted to know that my father was for me.

My father is one of my favorite people. He is far from perfect, but a man of humility and faith. He means so much to me for so many reasons. Over the years he has guided me so faithfully to grow in my understanding of my heavenly Father. I remember those early teen years were the absolute suckiest, ever! I was trying to find my identity in the things of this world, and needless to say I found myself to be a failure in every way. I insulted myself with such certainty. I'm sure the words I spoke broke my parents' hearts. Yet, they were so patient with me, especially my dad. He just kept on preaching the gospel to me. He reminded me of all that Christ did on the cross to secure me as His child. He told me blunt Truth out of such sincere conviction, love and sternness, repeating it to my seemingly deaf ears for weeks. One day my heart was pierced. "Alissa, every time you say those things about yourself, you're slapping Jesus in the face and telling Him that what He did on the cross for you doesn't really matter to you." In that moment, the lies I had held so tightly to were called sin and were no longer a place of solace. There was no other choice, but to run to my Father and to walk in the Truth of His Word, knowing that I was without condemnation, a new creation, and a child of God, free before Him in Christ!

How sweet it is to know that the God of all things is pleased with us and has such deep love for His creation that He was willing to send His Son to live a perfect life, die a sinless death, and victoriously conquer the grave to bring us to Him, redeemed!

Abba, Father, how great is the love You have lavished upon us that we should be called the children of God, and that is what we are! Lord, what a sweet thing it is to know that we are Yours. You are for us, with us. Who can be against us? You have what is best in mind and You are able to secure it. Father, all You do is good and nothing is too hard for You. I am so thankful to know You. My heart cannot contain my thankfulness and yet, my lips could never praise You enough! O Lord, may I love others freely and fearlessly knowing how set Your love is for me? Lord, grow us for Your glory. Ground us in the love of Christ, cause our roots to grow deep that we may bear fruit in season. May Your love continue to go out from us. There are so many people aching for Your love. Open their eyes to see You, let their deaf ears hear and let their minds understand the love You have for them in Christ!






No comments:

Post a Comment