Thursday, November 24, 2011

while the pies are baking

"Count your many blessings, Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings, See what God has done!"

What a simple and beautiful chorus for the grateful heart! (I just noticed I had a typo in the chorus. I had typed "Count your man blessings..." lol! I'm sleepy so that is really funny.)

On this Thanksgiving day, and every day, it is good to take time to thank God for what He has given us. As I was baking, I was struck by the abundance of blessing that I have in the people in my life. There are so many faithful, wise, and fun saints in my life. In the last few months it has been amazing to think back on how the Lord has led me all this way, often using different people to challenge and encourage me. There are so many nuggets of wisdom that have been passed down to me over the years. One of these nuggets is something that Don Allen (LB Nav staff director) often says, "There are three things that will last forever: God, His Word and the souls of men. I don't know about you, but I want to live my life in light of the eternal." Oh how I desperately want to live my life for eternity and for His glory!

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 

I keep letting the Spirit smack me in the face with this chunk. How prone I am to discouragement when life is hard, but my life is but a blip on the radar. God is working for His glory and how sweetly He invites me, and you, into His story for His glory!


Lord, thank You for the abundance of blessings that we have in knowing You as our Lord, Savior, Maker, Redeemer, Shepherd and Friend. I can't imagine what my life would be like without You. I thank You that You are at work in my life, in seen and unseen ways. Thank You for making me Your child. Lord, grow my understanding of who You are, continue this work that You have begun, that Your truth and love may reach those who don't know You. Grow us as we walk in faith. Thank You, thank You, thank You for Jesus' work on the cross, for His atoning sacrifice. Lord, that we are blessed in the heavenlies though we were by nature objects of wrath is a wonder to me. How gracious You are! Lord, I am a least one, but You love me still. Thank You for giving us so much significance. Thank You for good music and apple pies, too.


Voila!




1 comment: