Saturday, July 21, 2012

But our eyes are upon You

I had the joy of visiting the city of my birth, Stockton, California, on Wednesday. There I met with some sweet family friends and shared with their youth group. It was such a joy! There were a handful of kids who were really excited and tracking with me. I shared parts of my testimony and primarily from 2 Corinthians 5:14-21 and Matthew 9:36-38. After I shared there was a time for questions and the same kid (whose last name is Blythe!) asked two questions:

1. If you want to see your campus radically changed for Christ, what is the first thing you would do?

2. What is the greatest act of God you have seen?

I loved that these questions showed his faith, his belief that God could radically change his campus and that God does great acts! Wonderful! Him and his friends were passionate about the gospel. What a joy to see that these are ones who indeed regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though they once regarded Christ in this way, they do so no longer!

Not only was I blessed to be with the youth, but with the adults. The couple that hosted me is in ministry, and for years they have been faithfully plowing the hard soil of Stockton.

Stockton has recently made international news for being the largest city to declare bankruptcy. Stockton is also the second most violent city in the nation, fourth in car theft, and boasts some 73 gangs (all these stats. I heard word of mouth while visiting). The city's bankruptcy particularly has stirred the interest of many other struggling nations, but ultimately there is a whole lot going wrong in this city and a whole lot of attention. It would take nothing short of a miracle of God to bring lasting change to this place.

And that is what my friends are believing He will do. And not just one miracle, but lots of them because every new creation is a miracle in itself.

My friends also shared that Stockton has the largest police chaplain force in the country, which began when his brother was killed in the line of duty many years ago. He shared that they have allowed the chaplains in the schools, and that he got to baptize five youth this spring (at a public high school!).

I am reminded of king of Jehoshophat and the armies ready to wage war against him, and before the people he prayed. His conclusion, "We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon You."

O, I pray that as the world's eyes are on Stockton, and my friends eyes are on You, that You would move in a mighty way, Lord. Get all the glory! It is Yours to be had! You are so worthy! Thank You for these faithful friends, for these like-hearted lovers of You, for these ones who are willing to come alongside of me in ministry! You blow me away, Lord!  Seriously. Why do You love us so much?


And as if this were not enough? There is so much more! This week God has convinced my heart that He is going to do great things. There is an urgency in the Spirit stirring, a healing He wants to bring. Do not be counted among the luke warm! Repent and believe! And if you are slow to believe, call to Him. "I believe, but help my unbelief." There is a race to be ran with endurance! Oh run out ahead of the others if you must; we've no time to waste!

Spirit, this is Your work! I look to You! I wait for You! Oh I am but a vessel for You to use. I've counted the cost, this life-lost, for the sake of knowing You. Lord, in light of this day's tragedy, in light of this week, I see the battle even more clearly. It is black and white. I hear Your words, "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." The war is on, the victory has been won, and the kingdom comes! 


O Lord, may they come and be counted among the living! May they rise up and join the Victor's side. 




No comments:

Post a Comment