Friday, July 6, 2012

tomatoes--sin

Tonight I attended a concert with two of my friends. I didn't really know anything about the band, but I had listened to one song and from what Laurel told me, I knew if nothing else it would be an interesting night. While we were driving to the concert she tells me that the album is about the rapture, which led to some interesting conversation about eschatology and science over a quick bite to eat at In-N-Out.

During the concert, I couldn't help but think about the gospel and all the people around me. Was I the only one there who knew Jesus intimately? Man, I hope not! After the band played some wonderfully exciting songs, the lead guy invited us outside where he had prepared a tarp and six, Costco size, cans of stewed tomatoes (the whole tomatoes, not diced). He told us all to participate, so out the 150-200 people there about 10-15% of us did. He told us to wait for his cue, but when he nodded his head to throw the tomatoes at him. I have forgotten to mention that he was dressed in a white, linen like robe during the concert. 


The imagery was pretty powerful, especially for me being one of the most vigorous tomato chuckers in the audience. I picked up tomatoes that had already been used and were thrown from the opposite direction, only to throw them again. We left splattered and splashed in tomatoes, wiping the juice on our clothes. 


As we drove back, the conversation led to the different thoughts that we had about this experience. My mind was clearly drawn to Jesus, the Lamb, worthy to take the scroll because with His blood He purchased men for God. I also thought about how even as I threw the tomatoes at the artist, obeying him, like worship, I wanted others to experience the joy of throwing tomatoes at him too. Most people didn't want to throw tomatoes at him; they didn't want to get messed with tomatoes themselves or just genuinely don't like throwing things at people. 

Lord, it is a mess. We are a mess in our sin. We so desperately needed You to pay for our sins; and as we walk, day by day, in the mess, we desperately need to remember that You have paid for our sins. Instead of being covered in mess, Your blood has washed us white. O come let us reason together, for though our sins were as scarlet, they're white as snow; though they were red as crimson, they are now as wool! Lord, You have dressed us in robes of white! You made Him Who knew no sin, to be sin for us, that in Him- in You, Jesus- we might become the righteousness of God!! We get beauty for ashes, a garment of praise for our heaviness. 

Lord, I doubt that this was the message the artist wanted me to walk away with, but I take it with a joyful heart. The visual was so good for me to see and share with those around me. You orchestrate things in ways I cannot. To You I lift my eyes; to You I yield my will. O Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me! Lord, even as I was stained with tomatoes tonight, Your gospel has stained me, my heart desires those around me to know You, for them to throw their sins at Your feet and bow to You as Lord and Savior. Work in the ways I cannot, O Sovereign Lord. Loosen my lips to speak Your praise! How beautiful You are, how worthy of getting my hands dirty in the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment