Monday, August 6, 2012

Good Ol' Abe

This week as I traversed across the country with a good friend, I had the pleasant surprise of getting to see Abe Lincoln's birth place in the Kentucky woods.

I really love Abe Lincoln, so much so that I would marry him. Not really, but really.

I am often struck by the simplicity of much of what Abraham Lincoln said. He was a wise man, a man who valued God's Word and who acted in light of it. He was a man worth following.

“In regards to this great Book [the Bible], I have but to say it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this Book. But for it we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man's welfare, here and hereafter, are found portrayed in it.” -Abe Lincoln

The top of the Memorial reads:
Here
Over the log cabin where Abraham Lincoln was born
Destined to preserve the Union and to free the slave
A grateful people have dedicated this memorial
To unity and brotherhood among the States
With malice toward none and charity for all

I left misty eyed and exhorted by his example. 

1 comment:

  1. I heart you and Abe! Too bad the chances of us ever being in Illinois together are slim because I would take you to all the wonderful Abe places we have there in the land of Lincoln. His museum in Springfield is TOP NOTCH!!

    ReplyDelete