Tuesday, February 14, 2012

thankful for THIS day

I'm not entirely sure why I love Valentine's Day, but it makes me so happy. I think one of the most likely reasons I enjoy this day so thoroughly is because I like hearts. (Hearts and circles are probably my favorite shapes. I really love symmetry). My love for V-day might also have to do with the fact that I love celebrating life and that I have been blessed to live a very loved life-by God, my family and friends. And as Don Allen says, "Loved people, love people." Don't ya love loving people? It is fun!

I'm pretty happy about this Valentine's Day though!

Today is Arizona's centennial. A happy 100 years to my favorite state, the Grand Canyon State! Take that, all you other states with less illustrious canyons. The Great Plains, what is so great about being plain? And no one state can claim you! Anyways... to celebrate this occasion, and to help the fourth graders celebrate an end to their Arizona unit, I baked some cookies with some of my friends tonight. We put hearts on them as we are celebrating "Great Hearts' Day" and the virtue of friendship instead of Valentine's tomorrow at school.


This year, I think my every day thankfulness has reached a new level. In the midst of so many unknowns and changes, I feel like the Lord has been writing His goodness on my heart. He is ever faithful and loving! His promises are true. How this grows my hope and joy! 

Arizona's motto is "Ditat Deus," Latin for "God enriches." I see God enriching my life and my relationship with Him in a lot of ways. I am blessed to wait on Him and seek His face. Our God is good and He reigns. In love, He has paid our ransom. Hallelujah!

"Taste and see that the Lord is good, blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." -Psalm 34:8

"The Lord will guide you always, He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen  your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a stream whose waters never fail." -Isaiah 58:11

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Love God! Love you! Happy Valentine's Day, beautiful Alissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? That's the State motto?!? Why did I never know that! I love the "Great Heart's Day" concept! The cookies came out really well so I'm glad Laurel or whoever helped you out! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete