Thursday, May 3, 2012

We are the Family of God

In Tucson, our church building was a ranch house that had been converted. It was on a grapefruit orchard, surrounded by prickly pear and cholla. 'Twas perfect for epic games of hide n' seek, but the best part was that there was a wonderful swimming pool, complete with a Jacuzzi and diving board. I, in fact, learned to swim during a YMCA class in that pool, and a couple years later was baptized in it on an April morn in freezing water! In the summers we would have BBQ's in the back yard and swim. As the sun would set and the fruit bats would swoop over head, we would gather together with fully bellies and wet hair. We would pray, read the Good Book and sing songs that my dad played on his folk guitar.

As I think back, I am thankful for the memories, thankful for the truths that were so long ago imparted, thankful for the song lyrics that even now rise out of my heart, and thankful for the family of God.

I walked into my apartment with a full heart tonight. The first verse and chorus to a song that I learned on that patio came to mind. I've included the rest of the verses for ya.

Go make disciples of all men;
Go tell them my way is true.
Tell them the wonderful story
That they may be one in me, too.

We are the family of God,
Yes, we are the family of God;
And He's brought us together
To be one in Him
That we might bring life to the world.


Let them know life in the making.
Let them know peace from above.
Show them by your own example
Of love in the family of God.

We are the family of God,
Yes, we are the family of God;
And He's brought us together
To be one in Him
That we might bring life to the world.

Bigger and better is my love
That I have bestowed unto you.
And now it's for each one to share of,
That all things might now become new.

We are the family of God,
Yes, we are the family of God;
And He's brought us together
To be one in Him
That we might bring life to the world.

By Jon Byron 1976


Mom and Dad: I love you! Thank you for your faithfulness and realness. Thank you for passing on truths to me, that I so frequently find myself passing on to others. Thank you for living your faith before me so tangibly, for loving God and others, and for showing me love in the family of God.


O Lord, You alone are my Lord. You alone are worthy of our worship. How great You are! What grace is this that You bestow on us love and call us family! My heart rejoices that You created us in Your image and that You have sent Your Son to restore our relationship with You. You are so good to us. Lord, my heart longs for others to know You, even as I know You. Lord, use us for Your glory. May we run in the path of Your commands, for You have set our hearts free! I love You. You are my God, I seek You in earnest. My body longs for You, and how my soul does thirst! You give life, and make streams of abundance flow in the desert. Maranatha!



1 comment:

  1. Be Thankful for all things, because "all things work together for the good{yet not all things seem to be good at a particular moment in time}, for those who love GOD, for them who are the called according to HIS purpose"!

    As The Messiah did, so also should those who seek to follow Him, desire above all else "Father, not my will, But THY Will Be Done!"

    Father Help! and HE does.......

    ReplyDelete