Saturday, March 20, 2010

Dream Deferred

I will borrow Langston Hughe's title, but I am not going to talk about raisins drying in the sun. I will talk about cupcakes and frosting again. I think they're much more optimistic than raisins.

So today a dream of mine (the one that was the sprinkles in a few posts prior) has been deferred. We could say I took the slightest nibble of that cupcake and then it needed a new frost job. That is putting it euphemistically, I could also say that my tearful worries and fears have become a reality. But facing your fears can be good, cupcakes can be re-frosted and deferrals can make one realize the depth of their dreams and hopes.

They are the "if the Lord tarries" kind of dreams and hopes, but they're still valid and important. Sometimes I push off these kinds of hopes because I am afraid they will always be the deferred kind. I know they are not guaranteed.

I will find comfort in the eternal and guaranteed hopes this night, letting them trump the temporal and iffy ones.

1 comment:

  1. Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

    I can't seem to get this out of my head.

    ReplyDelete