Tuesday, January 24, 2012

benediction

"May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord make His face to shine upon you.
May the Lord be gracious unto you.
And give You His peace, His protection,
and a good night's sleep. Amen?"

"Amen," was my reply to my father's benediction. And with the answer came my father's kiss to my forehead.
I was officially tucked in.

This was our nighttime ritual growing up. I can still hear the gentle rhythm of my father's voice each night, the words of his blessing and feel the comfort of his protection that brought such peace. To hear my father speak of the Lord so lovingly as he entrusted his precious ones to Him each night, asking for His blessing on our lives, taught me so much of the Lord's goodness. What good words, indeed! The words come to mind and my heart takes joy in their consistency, as the blessing is from the Lord, the unchanging One.

I find myself in an ocean of God's blessing. What a gift it is to have received unmerited favor from the Creator of all, when certain demerit was due! What a blessing it is to have a heart alive in Him, to be awakened to that which is eternal. It makes me think of my father's words, his sweet and faithful words of blessing. How beautiful it is to be so blessed by God that the only response is to rejoice in Him and share the blessing.

There is always more room at my Father's table. Come in, eat with us, and share in the blessing!


No comments:

Post a Comment