Saturday, January 7, 2012

Nehemiah 6:15-16

"So the wall was completed on the twenty-fifth of Elul, in fifty-two days. When all our enemies heard about this, all the surrounding nations were afraid and lost their self-confidence, because they realized that this work had been done with the help of our God." -Nehemiah 6:15-16

Sometimes I am afraid of great tasks, especially when I feel under pressure to complete the task with a limited amount of time. As I read these two verses the other night, I was reminded to pray big, to dream big, to not fear great things because God is my Helper. Nehemiah led the men of Jerusalem to restore the wall in fifty-two days and under great opposition. His confidence in the Lord and his humility before Him enabled him to do this. What would it look like for me to take on great tasks with full confidence in my God?

I am not only afraid of great tasks, but at times I also fail to recognize the influence that the things I am called to do daily have an impact on those around me. I often lose sight of the fact that what God has called me to do this day is great, if done for His glory and in His power. I may not be building a tangible wall, but around me are so many people who have yet to realize the Father's love for them, who have yet to acknowledge that every good thing they've tasted in this life is a blessing directly given to them from their loving Creator. I pray that as I walk in obedience and with all my confidence in God that those around me would realize that the work I've done has only been done because God is my help and His joy is my strength.

Lord, I think of how strongly we are opposed to You in our flesh and in our pride, and how necessary it is for us to walk in full dependence upon You. Lord, how gracious You are to help us, how loving a Creator! You did not create us and then leave us to our ways, but rather You saw fit to be with us and to redeem us. Lord, I pray that You would grow in me a deeper faith, that I would trust You more, that I would not fear great things and that I  would walk in full confidence of who You are. Lord, that I would fear You alone Lord and live out of the knowledge that You are the sovereign Lord, the Maker of the heavens and the earth by Your outstretched arm and great power, nothing is too hard for You. May my dependence upon You impact those around me, would they too realize You are my help? O Lord, reveal Yourself through the power of Your Spirit. May they have eyes to see, ears to hear, and minds to understand Your love for them in Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment